THE GOSPEL AND THE FUTURE OF CITIES: A CALL TO ACTION
There are times in history when it is imperative that God’s people come together to pray, seek discernment, and act. Such a time was the gathering of evangelical Christians convened by the World Evangelical Alliance (WEA), the Urban Shalom Society, and other partners for the Gospel and the Future of Cities Summit October 15 – 16, 2016 in Quito, Ecuador.
As witnesses to the enormous spiritual, social, economic, and environmental challenges posed by today’s rapidly urbanizing world, where the world’s population currently living in cities will grow from 50% to 70-75% within 20-30 years, the intent of the Gospel and the Future of Cities: A Call to Action statement is to motivate and activate the whole church to more deeply understand, love, and care for cities and their inhabitants from God’s perspective, and to become better equipped and effective for urban presence, ministry, work, and witness.
The statement was released at the UN-Habitat 9th World Urban Forum in Kuala Lumpur in Feb. 2018. To learn more read the background of the statement review the WEA’s press release at this this link.
To read the Gospel and the Future of Cities: A Call to Action statement go to this link The Gospel & Future of Cities: A Call To Action statement.
Organizations and leaders who have endorsed the Gospel and the Future of Cities: A Call to Action statement include:
- World Evangelical Alliance: Dr. Chris Elisara, Director WEA Creation Care Task Force.
- Lausanne Movement: Dr. Ed Brown, Lausanne Catalyst for Creation Care.
- Micah Global: Sheryl Haw, International Director.
- Urban Shalom Society: Dr. Ash Barker, Mr. Andre Van Eymeren, Dr. Chris Elisara, Dr. Bryan McCabe, Mr. Michael Mata.
- Christian Community Development Association: Noel Castellanos, President.
- A Rocha International: Revd. Dave Bookless, Director of Theology.
- Tearfund: Paul Cook, Head of Advocacy.
- The Congress for the New Urbanism Members Christian Caucus: Leadership Committee: Mr. Mike Watkins, Ms. Sara Joy Proppe, Dr. Chris Elisara, Dr. Eric O. Jacobsen, Mr. Andrew Moore; Mr. Jay Hoekstra.
- Institute for Urban Initiatives: Dr. Grace Dyrness
- School of Intercultural Studies Fuller Theological Seminary: Dr. Bryant Myers & Dr. Jude Tiersma-Watson.
- Gospel and the Future of Cities Summit October 15 – 16, 2016, Quito, Ecuador: Ms. Loida Carriel Espinoza, Dr. Noah Toly, Mr. Andre Van Eymeren, Ms. Juliana Morillo, Dr. Ashley Barker, Dr. Christopher Miller, Ms. KrisTina Mata, Mr. Michael Mata, Dr. Richard E. Waldrop, Mr. John Liotti, Dr. Bryan McCabe, Mr. Frank Carrascoza, Dr. Mary Nelson, Mr. Eric Swanson, Dr. Chris Elisara.